Thursday, March 23, 2006

To or not to...

The issue of legalism comes up a lot in the circles in which I circulate. Over the past few years it's been on my mind a lot. In my church community we are blessed to have a true diversity of backgrounds and convictions and that has made for some lively discussions, some unfortunate disagreements and some perhaps healthy tension. Luckily, we are also a community that is consistently reminded by our leadership of the importance of grace---God's towards us, and ours towards each other.

I think I just have issue with our (my) unwillingness to be okay with the fact that there are, in fact, certain things that we would be better off NOT doing. Ever. Whether we CAN or not. Everyone wants to make the blanket assumption that such an attitude is legalism. We must be very, very careful that we don’t label what is wisdom and maturity “legalism”. There is a difference, even though they may sometimes look the same.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobby said...

I do think the danger of legalism is very real, however, you raise excellent points.

I think a lot of times, we "draw a line" along the sand in our Christian walk, labeling a lifestyle of sin as "what's on the other side of the line." Then we spend much of our time getting as close to that line as we can without crossing over. It makes us cool, "relevant" Christians.

If the whole "line in the sand" analogy were perfect (it does have it's limitations) then one would think that we who love God and live to please Him would stay clear of that line, never teetering near it.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I'm reminded of Paul, "Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial.." it goes on but I don't feel well right now so I'll leave it there...

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home