Friday, May 12, 2006

A wild hair...

So today as I was driving to work I heard this song on our public radio station (WFPK) and the chorus was:

Hair styles and attitudes
Are they related?
Hair styles and attitudes
How do they connect?


Which I thought was quite oddball...UNTIL I started thinking about it...!

Take me, for example. I have naturally curly hair, which can be somewhat unruly. And I usually let it go au natural---no heavy products or appliances involved in the "fixing" thereof. But, occasionally, I take the necessary pains to smooth it out into a straight look. I keep it long or medium length so that I have some flexibility to "do" stuff with it. No fussy, high-maintenance cuts for me, but it's gotta be long enough to put in a pony tail when I don't want to worry about it.

My general persona, or attitude (maybe?), is kind of the same! I'm usually pretty laid-back and most often casual, something of a cautious rebel (and, no, that's NOT an oxymoron). But, when the occasion requires, it's possible for me to exhibit a certain degree of smooth style and grace. Flexibility and spontaneity are definitely key aspects of my general outlook on life, and I am often able to cast worries aside when I don't want to think about them.

Then I started thinking about some of my friends and how/whether their hair style reflects their personality/attitude... I can DEFINITELY see the connection... :)

Think about it! Then tell me your thoughts.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bobby said...

You've got to be kidding me.

There's no connection with me because my hair is not how I would have it be if it would only GROW like it used to. THEN the connection between hair and attitude would make more sense (not that I'd be a total whooly man, people).

As it is, I'd have to say that it simply doesn't hold true for me. Maybe for some folks.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

Actually, you were one of the people that I thought of and I can TOTALLY see the connection. You and Heather.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

8-(

1:33 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

I dunno if I wanna open this can of worms or not?!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

I'm quite curious. I have my hair parted to one side, long, straight, layered for movement and rarely use any chemicals on it aside form shampoo and conditioner. Most of the time I like to wear it down flowing in the breeze but put it up when I have a phsical task at hand. Anylize that!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

My hair style is to leave it grow so long that it becomes almost uncontrollable and then get it cut really short so that I don't have to pay a barber for a long time again. I wonder what that says about my personality or attitude.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Alex & Laura Beth said...

Lorie, please explain my hair. What do these corkscrew curls mean?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Lorie said...

You're quirky.

Christa is laidback, but effortfully so.

Tim puts off things that he doesn't want to think about until he HAS to make a decision and then he does.

How's that?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

YOU are driving me CRAZY.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Christa said...

effortfully so? what the heck does that mean? Need clarifcation.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

It means that even though your hair is straight and carefree-LOOKING, you still have to blow dry it and stuff. :)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Lorie wrote, "Tim puts off things that he doesn't want to think about until he HAS to make a decision and then he does."

Now that's a thought certainly true in things like haircuts. And I don't like to be rushed to a decision. But I also very much like being prepared ahead of time for things when I can.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Bobby was going to write one more time he'd ask for clarification yet again, since it's been quite forthcoming with everyone else. At least I think it's what he would write.

But this has been Harvey Brown.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Lorie said...

Bobby is an impossible case...

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hair changes every time I feel unsettled about my life. Lately, it's changed a lot. I prefer it long, but I recently hacked it all off. Now the growing-out process begins!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home