Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And your point is...

I'm taking a class called "How People Change" through Sojourn's School of Gospel Transformation. As I was doing my reading last night, I came across this:
...What are you living for? What is your goal in life? Every time you raise your voice at your child or give your spouse the silent treatment, you hope to accomplish something. What is that hope? What is that goal? If you work sixty-five hours a week, you have a purpose in mind. Certain hopes and promises are directing your life. What are they?

If I'm honest, my goal is usually to satisfy myself or be recognized. I work a full-time job because I want money to buy the things I want, be able to travel, maintain a certain standard of living. I live to get the things I want---an easy life, more free time, social interaction, convenience and fame. Even when it comes to posting blogs, I think about what will make me seem the wittiest, the most spiritual, the coolest. My goal is to glorify myself. My hope is most often that someone will like me, want me, please me.

How about you? What are you living for?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Reading the smae chapter last ngiht and the book, it showed me much of the same self-serving behaviors I have. Especially how much I love myself vs how much I love others or lack thereof. I want to love those who love me and punish those who don't. I am scared that I am like this, but feel comforted that it was pointed out to me in such a way there is much hope. Never thought I would be hit with truth like this in a way it seems comforting. I hope it hit you in the same way.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wow, this was a good kick to the gut this morning. Time for me to do some self-evaluation and find out what I'm really living for versus what I think or say I am.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

I think many of us live for self more than I/we would like to think. It can be a challenge to keep our focus on Jesus.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

Tom, yes it did. That's one of the strengths of this curriculum so far, I think---that it does not leave us in a place of dispair, but rather focus on the gifts we are given in Christ and the hope that we have of change. I LOVE that!!!!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home