Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Back to the grind...

Another holiday come and gone. How did you spend it?

My parents and I moseyed down to Shocco Springs, AL for a Brazil missionary reunion. Although I didn't know most of the (retired) folks there, it was a good time with my extended "family". The custom for missionary kids (at least/especially in Brazil) is to refer to other missionaries as "Aunt" and "Uncle". So I, for one, have about a gazillion aunts and uncles spread throughout the world! It was neat to hear 78-year old MKs (missionary kids) speaking flawless Portuguese, telling Brazilian jokes, singing songs that I learned and taught in Sunday School when I was there, remembering favorite and familiar foods and places... Good times.

One of my main motivations for going was the opportunity to see my MK friend Julia, her Brazilian husband and their 3-yr. old little boy, Gabriel, who happen to be visiting their family in the States for a month or two. We met up at the meet-n-greet on Friday and you wouldn't have known we hadn't seen each other since her wedding in Brazil in '98 (I think)! And Gabriel didn't take long to warm up to his "Tia Lorie". In fact, we were inseparable for the rest of the weekend! That cutie and his devotion to me was definitely a highlight.

As was seeing the glowing faces and sweet spirits of my "aunts" and "uncles" who represent years of devoted service to the mission field---they were such an inspiration to me, in the stories and laughter they shared, their obvious love for the country and people of Brazil and each other, the "special music" they belted from their hearts, the gratitude and faith they display in the midst of loss and growing older...

Like I said, good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home