Monday, February 26, 2007

An "Aha!" moment...

This really struck me in an interview I was reading today. I've been thinking off and on over the past few weeks about have a "gentle and quiet spirit" and about how "gentleness" is to be a characteristic (ie. fruit) of anyone growing to be more like Christ through his Spirit.

Gentleness implies tempered strength. Babies aren't gentle---babies are weak. But when an adult who has the strength to crush the baby instead cradles them in their arms, that's gentleness.

The person being interviewed goes on to say, "That's what God has called us to be as women. Strength under God's control."

I'm a strong woman. And most people know that about me. In fact, I have made far too many people far too painfully aware of my strength. Strength is a tool, and it is something to be cultivated, appreciated, valued and admired. But much, much too often I am prone to (wo)man handle rather than cradle.

By God's grace, may this fruit of gentleness be as, or more, prominent in my life than my strength.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bobby said...

"In fact, I have made far too many people far too painfully aware of my strength."

You are, in short, a force.

I think you handle plenty of situations with gentleness, and are getting better at it all the time as you continue to let God work in you.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Yeah in the short time that I have known you I can see some changes in "Gentleness"

4:52 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good stuff, Lorie. Thanks for sharing it.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Love those "aha" moments. I too am a strong woman (pity the fool that would get in our way if we ever combined forces) and have always struggled with the "gentle and quiet spirit" that seemed to be required of me to be a Christian women (a strong Christian woman even). I like how you found it to be described. I came to a similar conclusion . . . God made me strong and sometimes not so quiet, but my spirit is very different, it is controlled by the Spirit and it can be gentle and quiet and very honoring to God. It's all in how we use what God has given us, if it is strength than to use it as you put it, under control and yielded to a Holy Spirit that desires to be BOLD and also GENTLE.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I really love that!

8:20 PM  
Blogger RosieBoo said...

Makes the verse "Wise as a serpent, gentle as a dove" make complete sense now...

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home