Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Pointless pride...

So I've been thinking about how prideful I am. How ready to see the good in me and the bad in others. How ready to excuse the bad in me and the good in others. All in all, I think of myself as a pretty sensible, savvy and well-rounded individual. Yuck. Regardless of what I say, my independence and self-sufficiency are more often way more real to me than my neediness and fallenness.

My mom sent this poem on email today and it was a very apt reminder of the reality of who I claim to be. And I know these things to be true, though I don't always live like it. I want others to see these things in me.

By Maya Angelou

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say ... "I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say... "I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bobby said...

Yeah, I've read that poem before, and it is very apt.

I struggle with pride a great deal. I probably spend as much time patting myself on the back as patting other's on the back. That is sad.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good poem...no doubt we all struggle with pride...I think God often has to grab our attention to humble us, or to help us to see others as better than ourselves. The old saying "but for the grace of God, there go I" does ring true when we are tempted to become pretentious and too big for our britches...some of us need some big britches to contain ourselves though...such as myself

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that poem. I've read it before also, but it's always nice to read it again. Thanks for sharing. Good Luck on your blog!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Paul Tackett said...

i have never read that poem before myself. there is definitely some insightfulness into that poem.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang around some handicap people for a while, and you will be prepared to look at life, people and your own circumstances from a different perspective.
TDF

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home