Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Where have all the cowboys gone...?

Remember that song? It was weird.

Now I know it's the holiday season and there is shopping to be done, parties to attend, semester finals to be completed...but does that really mean we have no time for each other any more? It makes me sad not to have any comments on the ol' bloggeroo...

On another note:
Last night at our community group we were talking about Matthew 13 (the parables of the hidden treasure and the pearl) and how we can know intellectually that there is nothing more valuable than the kingdom of God on earth (living so that God's will is done joyfully and without hesitation) and still completely take our relationship with Christ (who enables us to be citizens of that kingdom) for granted. One of the girls was comparing developing intimacy with Christ to her relationship with her husband, saying how they don't have much of a relationship when they're not spending time with each other and being intentional about doing that in their day-to-day life.

For the first time, I was struck by what a blessing it is that our God is not tangible. Usually we complain that it's so hard to have a relationship with someone you can't touch, see, feel, talk with face-to-face. But I was awestruck by the beauty of the reality that---because he is intangible, because of the nature of our relationship---Christ is ALWAYS with us, wherever we are. There's no need to plan dates, or carve out time during the day, or go to a particular place to find and be with him. He is with us always. We have constant and unlimited access to him in order to develop a relationship. Greater intimacy with God isn't about having a quiet time and spending an hour alone with him every day (although that's an important instrument and discipline of grace), it's about cultivating the mentality that you are one, communing with him throughout the day, sharing your moment-by-moment life with him. Isn't that what we want---what we long for and crave---in our human relationships? That kind of constant intimacy and companionship is ONLY possible in Christ because we are NEVER separated from him!

Wow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bobby said...

1. I know. Not getting much comments on my blog these days, either.

2. Great thoughts. And Jesus told this very thing to the disciples when they were saddened that he was "going away." He said "If I don't go, the Comforter can't come." Now the Comforter HAS come, and is with us, in us, beside us, before us always.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

...maybe they're at the theater watching The Nativity Story (although they weren't at my theater--i shared a giant screen with two elderly women last night--i guess not that many are out watching the late showing of anything on a Wednesday when its -22C)

:D

When you get a chance...go see it!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm a blogger slacker. :)

Great insight. Especially in this season where I'm balancing my limited social time to spend it with friends near and far and try to do that all within about a month timeframe. I've often thought if we all were more consistent in our time spent together all year long, we'd not be as rushed at this time of year.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

WOW is right, this just blew me away

something so simple, so easy that "I don't know how I haven't thought of it before"

Thanks Lorie, SUCH GOOD STUFF, this is getting copied and taped somewhere for me to read each day

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the thoughts and I miss talkin' to you too! Email me and let me know what's going on ;)

6:13 PM  
Blogger jel said...

Hey Lorie,

this is a good post,


thanks for the visit, and the comment on my blog,
I'm not much of a talker, so I let my pictures talk for me, and I hope they shown what God has giving us!


Blessings

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its kinda scary how if we look at our relationship with Christ, it mirrors our relationships to um everyone.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home